Monday, March 2, 2009

Inspired by Arwa’s Pumpkin Bread

Today my neighbor Arwa dropped off some pumpkin bread wrapped adorably and tied with a red ribbon. I usually don't like these things, but since my friend Hiba started making pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies and even pumpkin pasta, I have been converted to a pumpkin lover. Arwa's pumpkin bread was golden and had the perfect amount of nuts and fruit and spice and pumpkin and sweetness. It was amazing! (Thanks Arwa!) So I decided I'm going to look at pumpkins a little deeper to try to justify my new fondness for Cinderella's carriage.

Pumpkins have lots of goodness and not a lot of calories. In about a cup of cooked pumpkin, you've got something like 50 calories. Low saturated fat, low cholesterol, low sodium—this food is heart healthy…as long as it's not smothered in cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, or layers of icing. The vegetable has plenty of Vitamin E, which may increase vasodilation, a widening of blood vessels—great news for sufferers of high blood pressure! Vitamin E is also a great antioxidant, preventing the spread of free radicals that can damage cells. This is also a great source of Vitamin A (you know all about that) and Iron. Iron is an essential part of enzymes and hemoglobin, among other proteins. Hemoglobin transports oxygen in our bodies, and without sufficient iron, one may develop iron deficiency anemia. It is imperative for young women to make sure they get enough iron, especially if they are pregnant. Another antioxidant, Vitamin C, is found in pumpkins. Vitamin C helps absorb and store iron, so this is a great combination of nutrients! Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is also involved in the synthesis of collagen, part of the structure of tendons, ligaments, and bones. The fiber in pumpkin is going to help keep you full (and regular) for a longer amount of time.

Here is a recipe for pumpkin soup—reduce the amount of salt you use by putting less in when you're cooking and adding a little sea salt later to taste!

7 comments:

  1. Omg. Arwa. Please bake me something and mail it? Please. I miss your baking! Also thanks Hend..I have yet to be converted into a pumpkin lover. They qualify as mushy, and as you know, that means I don't eat them. But perhaps one day...I do enjoy soup...hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eman, pumkins are not mushy...pumpkin puree is. And since when is soup or bread mushy?
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, Hend. I had no idea pumpkin could be that good for you. If you all are interested, the recipe can be found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Delicious-Pumpkin-Bread/Detail.aspx

    I made a few subsitutions to make it (sort of) healthy. I substituted half a cup of pureed apples for a half cup of oil (it basically just added oil). I also used two instead of three cups of sugar (I think in the future I would reduce this even more). Then I added raisins, craisins (yes Hend, they are just dried cranberries) and flax seed. I know this still isn't necessarily great for you, since the final product probably still has lots of calories (don't kick me off your blog!). I tried to make it healthier, but I draw the line at wheat flour! (which my mom tried to pursuade me to add)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A blog about food? Excellent. Now if only you'd cut out all this nutrition mumbo jumbo...

    p.s. Arwa, your pumpkin bread was superb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why does it "Faeza" when I comment but "Maha" in the list of followers? Oh the plight of being Bengali... Arwa, I might need some more pumpkin bread to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hanu, I loved this entry, I am the biggest cheerleader for pumpkins...and for Hend, so this post was perfect :)

    Arwa, we could also use your date cake receipe:) mmm...muwafak food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maha, may be it shows your name as Faeza because you registered your gmail under Faeza and not Maha?! Just guessing, I could be totally wrong.

    Hend, I want a post about fiber! I miss hearing the fun facts about how good fiber is for you during our HP class :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I didn't realize pumpkins were so nutritious!! I always thought they weren't because they're so sweet and creamy.. but I guess that's just how I always eat them :) I'm definitely going to look for some ways to incorporate pumpkin into more food...

    ReplyDelete